Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Day-To-Day

Francine is still walking on three feet and I am still more or less jobless. Today's major task is to complete a comic I have been working on for the next issue of my friend's grafitti magazine. However, this involves me simultaneously resisting the urge to curl up in bed with my little tripod and and my latest, cant-put-it-down read, I Am Charlotte Simmons.

Yesterday Brad had his weekly day off. Although he preferered to sleep, eat and lounge his way through the day while reminding me that he should not be expected to do anything on his "day off", I, being someone who has had too many involentary days "off" in recent weeks to guiltlessly do nothing, insisted otherwise. I dragged Brad out on a 3 hour errand run involving banks, postoffices, laundromats (drop-off of course) and grocery stores. Reminding him the whole time, in need of some recognition for my ability to use my endless days at home well, that the role I have taken on as mundane-chore-doer, is not so easy.

However, the spoils of our mundane journey were delicious. Armed with a new arsinal of cookbooks I recieved as Christmas gift, I made us an amazing
Thai Lentil and Coconut Soup for dinner, which Brad complimented with a Arugula and Pomegranite (his new favorite food) salad. Here is the recipe, from a Soups, Starters and Salads cookbook, gifted by my Mom:

Thai Lentil and Coconut Soup

2 tbsp neutral oil
2 red onions, finely chopped
1 fresh chilli: ribbed, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1" piece of lemongrass, outer layers removed and inside finely sliced
1 cup of red lentils, rinsed
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 can coconut milk
juice of 1 lime
3 scallions, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper

Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add onions, garlic, chilli and lemongrass and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until onions are softened. Add the lentils, coriander and paprika

Stir in coconut milk and 3 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes.

Stir in lime juice, scallions and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve and enjoy!


No comments: