Saturday, September 10, 2005

Life vs. Advertising

My life, that is. It is saturday morning and I am sitting in the office of another advertising agency where I am pinch hitting on a new ad campaign to be pitched on Monday. While I may or may not ever work for, or see these people again after Monday, they are desperate as usual for me to give up my life for them RIGHT NOW. Do I sound bitter? I came in yesterday morning and by the afternoon they inquired about my weekend plans – "you're free saturday but not sunday? Great, we'll take it!" – And by the end of the day I was booked for Monday too.

But let's just say that I design one of the new campaign directions, and the high-end health club, whose name I am told not to mention, buys it. Will I be returning to carry out and take credit for designing the campaign?

Nope. Well, probably not.

This is what it means to be a "freelancer".

But hey, the pay is good and the days off (whenever I want them) are even better. Looking at the bigger picture, I still have a life, unlike many of those who are the full-time slaves of advertising.

1 comment:

brent d. said...

hey, i just found your blog and i've enjoyed reading though it. from one designer to another, i can totally relate to the joys, and annoyances, of freelance. loved your website too!